Hey, I'm Lewis, a GP trainee in Newcastle 👋

(Lewis Potter) #1

Hey!

I’m Lewis Potter and I live in Newcastle in the UK. I’m a GP trainee currently working on an Obstetrics and Gynaecology rotation.

I also founded Geeky Medics, 8 years ago, back when I was a fresh-faced 4th-year medical student who felt free online medical education resources could be better.

Starting Geeky Medics also happened to be the perfect excuse for me to spend more time on my nerdy interests which included web technology, 8-bit artwork and video production.

I’ve been working on Geeky Medics ever since and I can honestly say that my passion for the project is even greater now than it was back then. The thing that I enjoy most about working on Geeky Medics is the opportunity to interact with our amazing, diverse international community of medical students, doctors, nurses, physician associates, paramedics and pharmacists.

At times, it was a real struggle to find time to work on Geeky Medics around medical school exams and junior doctor rotations, but occasional lovely emails from the community kept me motivated to keep pushing forward.

Recently, I decided to go part-time, to allow me to spend more time focused on Geeky Medics. This has definitely helped to restore a little bit of work-life balance, but one of my biggest challenges remains finding the time to address the needs of my clinical training alongside those of Geeky Medics.

The current things I’m working on include:

• Developing my O&G skills as part of my GP training
  • Building out the next version of our quiz platform (https://geekyquiz.com)
  • Creating new clinical skills content
  • Working on a large update to our mobile app
  • Building out the new community area

Hopefully, this has provided a little background on who I am, what I’m interested in, what I’ve struggled with and what my plans are moving forward. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me below.

If you’d like to introduce yourself to the community, you can start your own post in this area of the forum. I’m really looking forward to hearing your stories!

Cheers :grinning:

Lewis