Hey, I’m Lewis, the founder of Geeky Medics. Ask me anything [AMA] 🤔

(Lewis Potter) #1

I thought I couldn’t really continue to encourage others to participate in the ask me anything (AMA) thread without also taking part myself!

So, briefly, I’m Lewis Potter, a GP trainee and the founder of Geeky Medics. I started it over 8 years ago, whilst I was a medical student myself and I’ve continued to work on it ever since.

Feel free to ask me anything!

Cheers

L

(Max Jahanzad) #2

Hey Lewis,

I just want to say, you did an amazing job.

I was applying for PRES level 3 exam to obtain the Irish Medical Council registration and I study your website very carefully.
Thanks for your efforts

Regards
Max

(Lewis Potter) #3

Hi Max,

Thanks for the kind words, they mean a lot.

All the best with the studies!

Kind regards

Lewis

(Elle) #4

Hi Lewis,

You’ve done a great job. Thank you for starting Geeky Medics. I often look at GM’s clinical skills videos and clinical investigations guides.

I was just wondering what inspired you to start Geeky Medics? Also, how did you find time to build it alongside studying?

(Lewis Potter) #5

Hey Elle,

It’s great to hear you’ve used the site :slight_smile:

When I was a 4th-year medical student (2010), I struggled to find free high-quality clinical skills guides online. I eventually paid to access a resource and was disappointed that even this quality was low content.

I’d always been interested in technology, websites and video production, so I thought it’d be fun to try and make something useful in the medical education space. Ultimately, I wanted to be able to provide a resource that anyone could access for free.

I’ve always enjoyed working on Geeky Medics because it allows me to combine my interests in technology, medicine, video production and pixel art. However, it was difficult to find the time to work on Geeky Medics, alongside studying and even more so now that I’m working as a doctor. I’ve fallen asleep at my desk more times than I’d like to admit and I’ve sacrificed a lot of my free time outside of studying and now clinical work.

I’d have never persisted through the most challenging times over the last 8.5 years had I not felt passionate about the project. I feel really privileged to be able to work on Geeky Medics and I plan to continue doing so for a long time to come.

I’ve now reduced my GP training hours to part-time, which means I have more time to work on Geeky Medics during the week and some time to relax on a weekend (which was definitely needed).

Sorry if I’ve waffled on a bit!